A cuisine tells a million stories about the tradition and culture of its origin. From Chinese to Continental, Lebanese to Japanese and Indian, all of them speaks a volume about their regions through their unique aroma and taste. We often get spellbound and drooled to these luring and delicious foods across the globe.
Here in this article, we will be skewed to continental food and will discover some amazing facts.
What is continental food?
Have you ever thought about what exactly is the meaning of your favourite continental food?
In the most layman terms, it is something which is prepared in the continent of Europe. The delicacies native to European countries can be defined as continental food. French and Mediterranean food makes the continental platter. The continental dishes in France, Italy, Spain, and other parts of Europe primarily focus on olive oil, wine, garlic, and various herbs and spices.
More Stories: Buttermilk Nutrition & 7 Amazing Health Benefits
Why it is called continental food?
The food eaten specifically in the continental parts of Europe is called continental food and hence the name.
Continental food menu
If you are craving for the continental food and want to know about those European delicacies then guess what? you are at the perfect place. Here we will look at some of the absolute mouth-watering continental dishes. Try them out to get the feel of Europe on your plate.
Corn and Cauliflower Soup
A blend of corn and cauliflower that makes a gorgeous and thick soup can warm you in winters. This creamy soup not only drools you but boosts your health as well. The combination of corn and cauliflower is both healthy and tasty.
Chicken and Cheese Salad
A healthy salad with tender chicken breast blended in salt, pepper, and mayonnaise with cheese tossed over it. The combination is luring as it sounds. On top of it, chicken and cheese salad proffer many indispensable nutrients such as high protein. Thus, it keeps your tummy filled and satisfies your taste buds.
Paneer gives an Indian touch to Europe. It is a pan-fried cottage cheese baked with cheese and tomatoes. Yeah, I know you are drooling already so get a hold of it and finish off your craving.
Egg Bread BLT
This is probably the best addition to your breakfast or evening platter. All thanks to the Britishers who made BLT a popular teatime snack. BLT stands for bacon, lettuce, tomatoes.
This combination of chips and fish is simply mouth-watering. It is easy to cook and easy on the stomach. Batter fish just needs flour, salt, baking powder, water, and milk.
More Stories: Paneer Nutrition & 7 Best Health Benefits
Continental vs Oriental food: What is the difference between Continental and Oriental food?
The dishes made and consumed in South East Asian countries are simply referred to as oriental food. Chinese, Korean and Japanese dishes fall in the category of oriental food.
Here are some key differences between the continental and oriental food:
Continental food is highly influenced by the European cooking process while oriental food is rooted in Asian cooking procedures. Continental food employs techniques such as frying, roasting, and baking. Oriental food involves stir-frying, quick frying and boiling techniques.
In continental food, there is minimal use of spices whereas in oriental food spices are one of the key additions and used in large quantities.
In the continental dish, sauces can be used as flavours or seasoning while in oriental dish sauces are the indispensable part.
Moreover, dry ingredients such as apricot or dry plums are used in oriental dishes while continental dish does not host any of these. Similarly, oriental food holds a more share of vegetables than continental food.
So, I hope the major differences between the continental and oriental food is clear to you. Now make sure to place the right order next time you crave for continental or oriental food.
More Stories: How to make Delicious Fox Nut Pudding?
Continental foods: FAQs
- Q: What is continental food in India?
- A: There is nothing called Indian continental. As we have discussed continental food is something which is native to Europe. The advent and growth of globalisation stimulate food fusion. Thus, many foods across the globe became globally popular. The Indian continental is thus a ripple effect of globalisation. Continental food was blended with Indian spices and a new term Indian continental evolved.
- Here are some of the popular Indian continental dishes:
- Baked Potato and Aubergines
- Apple Sausage Plait
- Rosemary Chicken
- Broccoli Bake
- Q: What type of food is called continental food?
- A: In the most layman terms, it is something which is prepared in the continent of Europe. The delicacies native to European countries can be defined as continental food. French and Mediterranean food makes the continental platter. The continental dishes in France, Italy, Spain, and other parts of Europe primarily focus on olive oil, wine, garlic, and various herbs and spices.
- Q: Is pasta a continental food?
- A: No, it is Italian cuisine. There are some glaring differences between continental and Italian dishes.
- Here are some of the key differences:
- Continental food is native to parts of Europe whereas Italian food is limited to the cuisine of Italy.
- Continental dishes incorporate vegetable or olive oil whereas Italian food is blended in olive oil only.
- Continental food hosts less share of spices than Italian food.
- Sauces are mainly used as seasoning or condiments in continental food whereas sauces are the cornerstone of Italian cuisine.
- Meat is the main ingredient of continental dishes whereas pasta is the main ingredient of Italian dishes.
- Steaks and pies are popular examples of continental food while pasta with pesto sauce is a popular example of Italian food.
Continental foods: All in all
Here we have explored the significance and alluring recipes of continental food. Also, I have drawn a clear line of difference between continental and oriental food. Towards the end, we have seen some popular FAQs.
Hopefully, you’d love to have a continental menu on your checklist to try out this week.
If you find this article helpful or have any queries or suggestions. You are most welcome to drop a comment below.